Prostate Cancer – Spread the Awareness
Cancer has been responsible for many lives and the world is fighting for many more. People of all age groups irrespective of their place and race seem to be caught in the tangles.
There are different forms of cancer and one of the most common problems that are affecting the men in today’s world is prostate cancer. It has been a long battle, but we have reached the phase where with the help of some valuable advancement, the ball has been in our court. It’s still a long way though.
It’s the Prostate Cancer Awareness month and we need to take steps to save the lives of the valuable men. The disease affects the prostate gland which is mainly responsible for producing, preserving and controlling of fluids.
The disease is a common cause among Canadian and American men. In fact, everyone in nine men in the US is going to be diagnosed with the prostate cancer in 2018 and one in every seven men in Canada will be diagnosed with the disease in their lifetime.
Symptoms to Notice
There are hardly any symptoms to be noticed in the early stages. If the symptoms appear, there is more than one of the following,
- More than frequent urination and sometimes it’s painful too.
- Blood in the urine
- Difficulty in achieving or maintaining an erection
The advanced stages can show the following symptoms:
- It causes pain in the bones which usually affect areas of the spine, femur, ribs, and pelvis.
- Bone Fractures are common.
- The disease on spreading further can cause weakness in legs and also fecal and urinary incontinence.
If the disease is identified in the early stages before it spreads further, the treatments require are encouraging. Following are the necessary treatments that needed to be performed on the basis of early and advanced stages.
For Early Stages
- Watchful waiting or monitoring
- Radical prostatectomy
- Conformal radiation therapy
For Advanced Stages
As the disease is quite aggressive in the advanced stage, the following treatments are required,
- Androgen deprivation therapy (ADT)
Important Facts & Figures
- Every year, the disease affects more than three million men, worldwide.
- About one among the nine men in the US will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime.
- Every 18 minutes, an American man dies due to Prostate cancer.
- The risk of prostate cancer increase with increasing age. So, it is more common to be found in the men of the older age.
- Other than skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common in the American men.
- According to the American cancer society, there will be about 164,690 new cases of prostate cancer and 29,430 deaths.
It is cancer and the most important thing is that people should be made to understand their body and even the minor changes taking place.
Rise to the occasion and take a stand against cancer!