International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking: 26th June
Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking has taken many lives over the years. In every family, you may find drug addicts who are no more in compliance with their lives. Overuse of drugs becomes a life threatening issue. To put an end to this drive, The International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking was introduced on June 26, 1987. United Nations General Assembly targeted this day to spread awareness about drug abuse and illicit trafficking.
When drugs are used for medical purposes, they serve the people but, when these drugs are used in infinite amount, it is termed as drug addiction or drug abuse.
“One out of every 8 people who suffered from drug abuse disorder in 2014, according to National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSUDH), struggled with both alcohol and drug use disorders simultaneously”.
As per American Cancer Society, 1 out of 5 deaths in America is caused due to smoking tobacco. Smoking tobacco invites other diseases with it, like Mental Illness, Lungs Cancer, Kidney diseases etc.
Smoking Cigarettes shorten your life:
- Smoking Tobacco and Cigarettes kill more people than any other disease in the world.
- Cigarette smokers lose their lives earlier than non-smokers.
- Smoking is harmful for both men and women, for men it shortens their lives by 12 years and for women it shortens their lives by 11 years.
- Smoking leads to complicated deliveries as it may sometimes damage the reproductive organs.
- Smoking may result into unhealthy progeny.
- Along with cancer, smoking destroys other parts of body like heart, skin, lungs, eyes, bones and immunity system.
Drug Policy under World Drug System
The observation of United Nations Organization on Drugs and Crime states that over 200 billion people have been using illegal drugs. Drugs like Tobacco are sold illegally in the market with different names and promote drug abuse in the world. The Drug Policy is acting against smoking under World Drug System to neutralize the effects in coming years.
Drug Policies are stressing to limit the usage of drugs considering young generation because it is a threat to humanity and future generations.
Why Smoking Cigarettes become an addiction?
Nicotine in Cigars and Cigarettes is a stimulating chemical that leads to addiction. This International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, let us focus on quitting smoking and loving our lives. Dangers of these drugs and illegal markets not only affect health but also the economy of the world. Through this day, the objective of educating people about drug abuse and spreading awareness about illicit trafficking is to be achieved.
Objective of International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking: 2018
2018, International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking is focused upon “Listening”. Listen to the younger ones about their problems, about their mental health and about their “habits” of using drugs. Consider their opinion and engage them in social activities to stop the drug abuse drive.
The major drug abuse takes place in form of smoking, explain these simple steps to support this day, to the next person you find smoking:
- Learn to meditate. It helps.
- Go, travel. Explore. It helps.
- Exercise daily to achieve mental peace.
- Initiate a treatment against drug abuse, medication helps.
- Try to be more social, talking things out always solve the problem.
- Do not be ashamed, go to rehabilitation centers. You will find more people like you. You will feel home and safe.
- Use alternatives of these drugs to ease your body.
- Start an anti-smoking drive today.
- Are you ready to die and let others die? If NO is your answer then Quit Smoking. Do not make others the victim of passive smoking.
International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking is aimed around protecting lives and creating a healthy environment. It remains a challenge against humankind and this day is ready to fight a battle against Drug Abuse, against Smoking.
You can quit today, just try!